Monday, November 22, 2010

everyday miracles.

i recently had a patient caregiver say to me, through tears, "i joked that bad things always happen in 'threes.'" she meant this because her father declined very rapidly over the span of a few days following the death of his best friend. she never thought she would be right. i reminded her that was just a saying, and that no one knows nor can predict the patterns of life. wow, to tell myself this now. this has been a week of "threes." first, my very best friend's grandfather had an unexpected stroke, and is now in hospice care in wilmington (where i wish with all my heart i could be caring for him); then my mom calls with an update on grandpa and says my aunt has been diagnosed with leukemia; last night, the phone rings, and joshua says grandpa stultz died while talking on the phone to tyler. tragedy after tragedy. sadness and more sadness. my heart and prayers are with these, my loved ones, and their families. 


in the midst of it all, i was reminded that joy comes in the morning. and this morning, i checked for new pictures on dropshots of my nieces (always cheers me up), and i saw this...
elisa got her first mani pedi with a friend, and she is standing. she is standing! i can't say it enough. my cup runs over with joy and thanks and tears because only 8 weeks ago she was undergoing her 3rd hip reconstruction surgery, and has been in a half body cast since. but now, she is standing. breathe it in. feel that? good things are still happening in the world, and love and joy cast out all darkness. hold tight to these truths....



everyday miracles, by sara groves.

it's the everyday miracles that keep my hope alive 
it's the way you move in little things that help me survive 

and i know you move in greater ways 
but this is great enough for me 

what you do with my everyday is amazing 

the things that seem impossible, i lay down at your feet 
and just when i am needing most, you are there for me 

and i know you've made the lame to walk 
and caused the blind to see 
but what you do with my everyday is amazing 

when i'm down on my knees 
and i can't make it through 
when it's up to me 
it's really up to you